Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Prints: you're overdoing it

The Brief: As I was making my way to my bus stop yesterday, this woman was walking next to me. I couldn't help but stare in amazement at the horrible mismatching of prints that was taking place. I understand that the mismatching of print is cool and in right now. (This is a trend I have chosen to not participate in.) I knew immediately that I needed to capture this outfit in a photo so I could share it with you all.

The Analysis: Let's breakdown her crime. First, her outfit is a dress! If it was a skirt, I think this would have been a tiny bit less offensive. But, it's a dress! So that crazy and distracting purple, black and white print is all over her body. I'm not even sure I'd like the dress on its own without the shoes. It's very busy. Next, the shoes. Sure, those shoes might be cute with some jeans and in some other situations but certainly NOT paired with this dress. They are black and white quasi-polka dot. Why she felt these would pair well together, I don't know. All I can do is inform the readers of this blog and encourage them not to make this same mistake.

A note to my readers: I am not discouraging the mix of prints. Nor do I want you to be scared to try something new and different. But this, this is not a good idea for anyone. If it seems really crazy, it probably is. Try baby steps when exploring new fashion trends or ideas. Ease yourself into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment